Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Streusel Blueberry Coffee Cake

Whenever I'm back home, the first thing I do is raid our pantry and fridge. There's some odd relief knowing that I have a fully functioning kitchen with all the spices/ tools I need to bake. It's about time that I update this baby and now that I have a whole 3 weeks in California you can count on me cooking up a storm. 


I stumbled upon frozen blueberries during the raid and immediately knew I wanted to make a streusel blueberry coffee cake. In France I didn't have an oven and definitely did not have my daily fruit intake. So why not shove some blueberries into a cake and pretend I've got the new diet bar?


This isn't your normal coffee cake because it's got that sinfully awesome crunch of the crumb mixture on top. For all you non-bakers (I will convert you soon enough), this cake is not made with coffee! It's called a coffee cake because it's a denser cake meant to be served with hot coffee, and is perfect for snacking on. 

My Mum has already asked for a second round of this cake, and once you've got Momma's approval, you know you have a winner. 

Streusel Blueberry Coffee Cake

Recipe Adapted from Taste of Home 

2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tsp ground nutmeg

Streusel Topping: 

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cold butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

1. Preheat the oven to  375 degrees. 

2. In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, vanilla, nutmeg, and salt. Whisk in milk, egg, and melted butter to the dry ingredients.

3. Dredge the frozen blueberries in additional flour to keep them from sinking to the bottom of the cake. Fold in the flour-coated blueberries into the cake batter. 

4. Spread the cake batter into a 9 inch circular baking pan. 

5. To make the streusel, combine the sugar and flour in a bowl. Cut in the butter until the butter is evenly distributed and forms coarse crumbs.

6. Sprinkle the streusel topping over the batter and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment