Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Dal Makhani

SO I might be going out on a limb here but this is my recipe for Dal Makhani. I've always loved Dal Makhani but never really ate it much because it's a North Indian dish that my Mom doesn't cook. And now I'm craving my Mom's food....

Anyways, I decided to give this recipe a go because it doesn't require a lot of ingredients and a lot of it came straight out of a can. (Hint: If you're in college this should be up your alley!) And boy am I glad. The dal was DELICIOUS and took less than 10 minutes to prepare!! It totally satisfied my Indian food craving, and I could not believe how easy yet flavorful it was. I also gave this to my roommate and another friend and both of them gave it a double thumbs up. So no need to take my word for it. Winner Winner, Dal for Dinner? :)



Dal Makhani


1 15-19 oz can lentils
1 15 oz kidney (rajma) beans
1 onion, diced
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 can tomato paste (6 oz)
4 tbsp butter
2 cups milk
2 teaspoons chilli powder
1 1/2 teaspoons coriander
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 1/2 tsp salt


1. In a skillet, heat 2 tbsp butter and cook garlic and onions until browned. 

2. Add milk and tomato puree to the onions and garlic. Mix together until it is smooth and no clumps remain. 

3. Strain and rinse the lentils and kidney beans thoroughly before adding to the pan. Once washed add the lentils, kidney beans, and spices and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat. 

4. Once the beans are fully heated through, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and let it melt into the curry. 

5. Serve when naan, rice, or paratha!

No comments:

Post a Comment