Thursday, November 28, 2013

Korean Scallion Pancakes

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

I know you all are eating your hearts out this Thanksgiving: green bean casserole, roasted sweet potatoes, turkey. cranberry sauce, stuffing, and galore!! My family is eating barbecue for some odd reason but I am still insanely jealous that I'm missing out.

Instead my Thanksgiving breakfast consisted of Korean Scallion Pancakes!! I know. I clearly am a couple holidays off. I woke up this morning craving Green Onion (aka Scallion) pancakes because last night I read an article about 40 Taiwanese foods we can't live without. I must have dreamt about them because they clearly were still on my mind when I woke up. If you are up for some serious drooling check out the article to educate yourself on some of the most popular Taiwanese foods.


So I hopped out of bed and started looking up recipes on how to make them. The traditional Taiwanese flaky scallion pancake requires that the dough sits for 30-60 minutes before you can even make the pancakes. AND there's this super fancy technique to roll them out for which a rolling pin is necessary. I don't have a rolling pin and my tummy was not going to wait this long, so I settled for Korean scallion pancakes!

They turned out just fine and satisfied my craving. Texture wise these pancakes are more dense and not flaky in comparison to the Taiwanese scallion pancakes. However, there is a nice crust on the outside from searing it in the pan, you get the nice brown toasty color, and the flavor of the green onion really shines.

So if your Thanksgiving is just as wacky as mine food-wise, try em out! The recipe required a few basic ingredients, required minimal prep work, and most importantly, I GOBBLED them all up :)

Also, the bottom of this pancake got a little TOO toasty, but doesn't it look like a rose? It was too pretty to not share. (Or I'm crazy and the only person who thinks this looks like a flower.)



Korean Scallion Pancake (Pa Jun)

Recipe from Naomi Imatome-Yun 
Serving Size: 5 medium pancakes


2 cups flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups water
1 bunch of scallions
1 tsp salt
Oil for cooking
Soy Sauce (for dipping)


1. Finely chop the bunch of scallions and mix them together with the flour, eggs, water and salt. Let sit for about 10 minutes and consistency should be runnier than American pancake batter.

2. Heat a saute pan over medium heat and coat with a thin layer of oil.

3. Pour batter to fill pan in a thin layer.

4. Cook for 3-4 minutes until set and golden brown on bottom.

5. Turn over with help of spatula and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add more oil if necessary, and desired color should be a toasted brown.

6. Serve warm and dip in soy sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment