Sunday, August 25, 2013

Apple Turnovers


My garden at home has a large, bountiful green apple tree and every year we get tons of fruit. We try to spread the wealth as much as possible but realistically some fruit goes to waste. Being the resourceful person I am, I decided to take the leftover fruit and cook em! This is the first in my series of apple desserts :)

I love tart apples so I didn't use too much sugar when I baked my turnovers.  The cinnamon sugar on top makes the perfect balance between tart and sweet! I also made my turnovers rectangular simply because it was easier to roll out. Thinly slice your apples because if the apples are too chunky they will not fully cook through. My final suggestion is to serve the turnovers warm with ice cream :D Cause honestly, every warm apple dessert tastes a million times better with a classic vanilla ice cream.


Apple Turnovers

Serving Size: 8 turnovers

1 package (17.3 ounces) puff pastry sheets, thawed
1 1/2 cups chopped, peeled green apples
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Water & Flour

TOPPING:
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, apples, walnuts, and cinnamon. Toss well so the apples are evenly coated.
2. On a lightly floured surface roll out eat pastry sheet to half of the original thickness. Cut each individual sheet into four squares for a total of 8 turnovers. 
3. Spoon the apple mixture  into the center of each rectangle. Dip your fingers in water and with your wet fingers trace the border of the puff pastry sheet. (The water helps seal the pastry sheet!)
4.  Fold the rectangle in half and press edges to seal. To make the edges pretty, you can use a fork to crimp corners of the pastry.
5. In a small bowl, stir the ground cinnamon and sugar. Brush the pastries with the melted butter and liberally sprinkle the sugar cinnamon mixture. Place turnovers on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees until golden brown (approx. 12-15 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment